Jim Kosem - CV
Experienced Product/UX Designer Crafting Innovative Solutions
- Accomplished Design Leader boasting over 15 years of experience across a wide array of industries, including technology, government, and academia.
- Expertise in UX/UI design, product strategy, and design research, consistently delivering inventive, user-centric solutions that captivate and engage.
- Adept at assembling and mentoring high-performing design teams, fostering a culture of innovation and driving product excellence.
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusive design, with a rich background in implementing design systems and accessibility standards that cater to diverse audiences.
- Proficient in mixed platforms and multi-touchpoint experiences, from mobile to desktop and beyond, with a proven ability to develop ground-breaking products and guidelines that leave lasting impressions.
- Natural collaborator, seamlessly integrating with cross-functional teams and stakeholders to inspire strategic thinking and propel organisations forward.
SEDNA - Design Lead, Senior Product/Interaction Designer (Oct 2020 - Dec 2022)
- Pioneered user-centred design methodologies to revolutionise enterprise communications for automation, collaboration and transactions.
- Assembled and mentored a high-performing design team of 8, driving user research practices and fostering strategic collaboration with leadership and engineering which increased user satisfaction 17%
- Led a comprehensive user interface overhaul, ensuring adherence to accessibility standards and enhancing the overall user experience.
- Streamlined design operations and co-led the development of a robust design system, optimising processes and product consistency.
- Shaped category design and product strategy, guiding the organisation toward innovative and market-leading solutions.
Middlesex University - Guest lecturer (Mar 2018 - Aug 2020)
- Instructed students in the art of storytelling for mixed reality (MXR, VR, AR), equipping them with cutting-edge design and narrative techniques and best practices.
Protocol Labs - Product Design, User Researcher and Product Strategy (Nov 2019 - July 2020)
- Researched and crafted design guidelines for browser standardisation, contributing to the evolution of international browser standards (IETF).
- Conducted extensive research, developed and executed mobile design guidelines, culminating in the successful launch of native applications, including the Durin native app.
UK Ministry of Justice - Senior Interaction Designer (Apr 2019 - Nov 2019, Sep 2013 - Mar 2015)
- Collaborated on research and design for a comprehensive Civil Legal Aid service, establishing a new design standard to streamline case handling for internal and external users resulting in one of the first completely digital, end-to-end, governmental services
- Contributed to the research and design of a government correspondence service, enhancing the accessibility and efficiency of information requests.
UK Home Office - Senior Interaction/Service Designer (Mar 2015 - June 2018)
- Collaborated on research and design for an innovative investigation and analysis tool for the UK national border, dramatically reducing case handling time by 50%.
Intel - Product Manager, Design Lead (Jul 2012 - Aug 2013, Feb 2012 - Jul 2012)
- Served as a product manager, vision owner, and design lead for a multi-device, multi-platform media experience, directing international teams across the UK, US, Ireland, and Israel.
- Devised a second screen creation system, enhancing TV viewing experiences through the integration of a custom-built Natural Language Processing (NLP) technology.
- Crafted an intuitive and user-friendly GUI-based build systems for Linux (Yocto), promoting usability and ease of adoption.
Google - Product/Interaction Designer (Sep 2011 - Dec 2011)
- Collaborated on the redesign and rework of an acquired product (Google Compare), aligning it with Google’s design language and user experience principles while exploring new paradigms and design patterns.
- Contributed to the development of user interface and interaction standards, helping establish guidelines for the creation of new Google products.
The Council of Europe - Design and Technology Expert ( Jun 2011 - Dec 2011)
- Consulted on initiatives and participated in international seminars focused on integrating technology and design into history education, enhancing learning experiences and outcomes.
Horizon Digital Economy Research - Project Manager, Research Associate (Mar 2010 - Jul 2011)
- Directed the design, prototype development and deployment of a large-scale, multinational academic research project, showcasing leadership and project management skills
Samsung Design Europe - Lead Mobile Interaction Designer (Sep 2008 - Mar 2010)
- Led Samsung Europe’s first inclusive design project, exploring how mobile technology can empower older users and enhance their experiences.
- Conducted research and published mobile sustainability and accessibility strategies, positioning Samsung as a leader in inclusive design across Europe.
Royal College of Art (London, UK) (2004 – 2006) Master of Arts, Interaction Design
Cleveland Institute of Art (Cleveland, OH, USA) (1994 – 1998) Bachelor of Fine Arts, Graphic Design